5 Ways to reduce Childhood obesity
Overweight or obese children are more likely to become obese & overweight Adults. Making changes to their diets early and increasing exercise can helpBefore the problem gets out of hand is an important step .
However restricting your child’s calorie intake is generally not a good idea though , swapping to nutritious meals is a better way to go .
Here are five ways to help with childhood weight loss
- Restricting your child’s calorie intake is generally not a good idea , swapping to nutritious meals is a better way to go . Slowly remove sugars & processed foods from their diets, most processed foods have addictive properties. Children will have cravings while trying to stop eating them , so be patient and keep trying.
- Encouraging your child to eat a variety of healthy foods throughout the day to gradually move toward a healthy weight.
- The goal is a slower rate of weight gain during periods of growth.
- Boost their physical activity level by joining sports teams , family walks , going to playgrounds , going rollerblading .
- Make a healthy lifestyle change for the whole family not just the child.
Children with worsening or persistent obesity have an increased cardiovascular risk later in life. They are more likely to have illnesses like diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and plaque build-up in the arteries, all of which increase risk for heart disease.
Overweight and obese children who successfully reduced to a normal weight by their 20s had much lower risk than those who stayed overweight. Children who manage to lower their weight by early adulthood had the same risk for high blood pressure and high cholesterol as those who were never overweight.
Health problems for obese children include:
- type 2 diabetes – This condition is most commonly seen in adults, it is now also being diagnosed in children
- eating disorders such as bulimia or binge eating
- orthopaedic disorders – problems with foot structure
- liver problems
- respiratory disorders, blocked airways and restrictions in the chest wall, which cause breathlessness while exercise
- sleep apnoea – difficulty breathing when sleeping. It also causes snoring, waking often and poor sleep.
- cardiomyopathy – a problem with the heart muscle, caused when extra effort is needed to pump blood.
Eating delicious natural foods is the best way to avoid obesity & preventable diseases in the future.