Alzheimer’s how do you prevent or slow down the symptoms?

We still aren’t sure what causes Alzheimer’s however for 1% of cases there are 3 genes which determine if you will have Alzheimer’s. These 3 genes are involved with the amyloid-beta production. As for the other 99%, amyloid and tau are connected with Alzheimer’s. Numerous things can promote the growth of symptoms, Inflammation of the brain, vascular risk factors, and lifestyle can all influence this the outcomes.

Alzheimer’s gives rise to the gradual reduction of memory, thinking and reasoning skills. The symptoms are dependant on which stage of the disease you are in:

Early symptoms:

❏ Memory loss

❏ Misplacing items

❏ Forgetting the names of places and objects

❏ Repeating themselves regularly by asking the same question several times ❏ Start to become less flexible and hesitant to try new things

Middle-stage symptoms:

❏ Increasing confusion and disorientation

❏ Obsessive, repetitive and spontaneous behaviour

❏ Delusions

❏ Speech problems

❏ Disturbed sleep

❏ Frequent mood swings, depression, feeling anxious, agitated ❏ Difficulty performing spatial tasks, like gauging distances

❏ Agnosia

Later symptoms include:

❏ Trouble moving around without assistance

❏ Large amounts of weight loss

❏ Slow loss of speech

❏ Increased difficulties with short and long-term memories

Prevention

Cardiovascular disease has been linked with an increased risk of Alzheimer’s disease and vascular dementia.Below is a small list of ideas to get you started:

❏ Take part in social activities

❏ Maintain a healthy diet

❏ Get quality sleep

❏ Use management of stress techniques eg. meditation / yoga

❏ Stop smoking

❏ Sustain a healthy weight-height ratio Complications

❏ Pneumonia and infections ❏ Falls and fractures

❏ Bedsores

❏ Malnutrition and dehydration

The most convincing evidence is that physical exercise assists in the prevention of Alzheimer’s or at least slows the development in people who have symptoms, The advice is 30 minutes of moderately vigorous aerobic exercise, three to four days per week. Its advised that we should eat a Mediterranean diet:

According to an article (Written by Kris Gunnars, BSc on July 24, 2018) “The Mediterranean diet is based on the traditional foods that people used to eat in countries like Italy and Greece back in 1960. Researchers noted that these people were exceptionally healthy compared to Americans and had a low risk of many lifestyle diseases. Numerous studies have now shown that the Mediterranean diet can cause weight loss and help prevent heart attacks, strokes, type 2 diabetes and premature death. There is no one right way to follow the Mediterranean diet, as there are many countries around the Mediterranean sea and people in different areas may have eaten different foods.”

To read the full aritcle https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/mediterranean-diet-meal-plan

For help with Alzheimer’s below is a link:

Dementia Support Australia

https://dementia.com.au/?gclid=CjwKCAjwwYP2BRBGEiwAkoBpAmMcQANsbE5C TMhSHB880weBYEs0hzzy9RnNDQGlxbxvprlScGC2xRoCLlsQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=a w.d

Source

https://dementia.com.au/?gclid=CjwKCAjwwYP2BRBGEiwAkoBpAmMcQANsbEhttps://www.healthline.com/nutrition/mediterranean-diet-meal-planhttps://www.health.harvard.edu/topics/alzheimers-and-dementia